Chris is an attorney at Anastasi Jellum, P.A. With nearly 30 years of litigation experience, he practices principally in the areas of:
- Litigation: Banking, Business, and Real Estate
- Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy
- Construction Law
- Real Estate
- Creditors' Rights in Government Guaranteed Loans
He places the utmost importance on advising clients about their legal matters in a practical manner, without legalease. Clients know they can expect that their matters will be handled thoroughly, cost-effectively, and with a sense of urgency, while they are kept informed every step of the way.
Chris was named a 2012 “top rated lawyer” in commercial litigation by American Lawyer Media (ALM). He also has an AV® Peer Review Rating in the distinguished legal directory, Martindale-Hubbell,* has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®, 1997 – 1998 Editions, and Minnesota Law and Leading Attorneys in the 1994 – 1996 Editions.
Chris has a significant depth of knowledge and experience in commercial litigation. His commercial litigation practice serves the interests of national and local financial institutions, overseeing and coordinating complex commercial litigation matters in the areas of bankruptcy, banking, contracts, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), creditor’s remedies, real estate, and construction law.
Over the years, his experience has come to include representing the interests of banking and business clients in contract disputes, allegations of fraudulent borrowing, Ponzi schemes, embezzlement, and the treatment and interpretation of participation agreements by lending institutions
Some of the highlights of how Chris’ work has been of significant benefit to his clients include:
- Seminal case law on the issue of fraudulent conveyances between insiders under the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act (UFTA), as adopted in the State of Minnesota.
- Decisions rendered by the Minnesota Court of Appeals enforcing the Statute of Frauds under Minn. Stat. Sec. 513.33, dealing with lenders and credit agreements and upholding the fundamental principal that credit agreements must be in writing and signed by all of the parties.
- Court of Appeals decision upholding the validity and enforceability of personal guarantees of a business loan transaction.
- Uncovering an immense $80 million Ponzi scheme perpetrated by an individual on a host of financial institutions located throughout the United States that has resulted in the recovery of more than 60% of the lost funds from various sources.
- Uncovering a substantial fraudulent borrowing case against an individual.
- Obtaining directed verdict issued by Judge Gomez of the Hennepin County District Court on a contract claim.
Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy.
Bankruptcy is another very active segment of Chris’ practice, where he regularly represents the interests of banks and other financial institutions in Bankruptcy Court.
Cases in which Chris has had an active role include high profile real estate developers, a national crane leasing operation, as well as a national manufacturer of commercial and consumer products where the assets and liabilities exceeded $100 million.
Recent court decisions benefiting the firm’s clients in this area include:
- Bankruptcy Court decision holding that Participation Agreements are not secured instruments, as defined by the UCC.
- Directed verdict issued by Judge Robert Kressel of the United States Bankruptcy Court on a confirmation hearing.
- Dismissal of a bankruptcy filed on behalf of a hotel owner in Wisconsin.
- Chris also works with the firms’ clients and their borrowers to avoid bankruptcy, most recently reorganizing and structuring a voluntary surrender and workout of a golf course operation in Iowa without the necessity of a formal bankruptcy.
In the community, Chris remains active in bar associations and other industry-related organizations, and also provides pro bono services through the Volunteer Lawyers Network. He frequently presents continuing education seminars on bankruptcy-related topics and changes to the UCC.
Born in Albany, New York, Chris joined the firm in 2005 after practicing law throughout the years with several other reputable Minnesota firms. This previous professional experience included a concentration in both debtor and creditor rights and remedies and bankruptcy law, mechanics lien law, commercial litigation, and child care industry rules and compliance regulations. In addition to building a thriving practice, Chris has taken on an active mentor role to other litigators and bankruptcy attorneys at the firm. In his leisure time, he enjoys playing golf, traveling, and cooking.
*AV® is a certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
- University of North Dakota, B.A., English and History, magna cum laude, 1980
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Minnesota, 1983
- Wisconsin, 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2011
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1986
- American Bar Association (ABA) (Member, 1990 – 2004)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) (Member, Bankruptcy Section; Commercial Litigation Section, 1983 – Present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association (WSBA) (Member, 2004 – Present)
- Ramsey County Bar Association (RCBA) (Member, Youth Speaking on the Legal Profession, 2004 – Present)
- Hennepin County Bar Association (HCBA) (Member, 1986 – 2004)
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association (Member, 1995 – 2001)
- Commercial Law League of America (CLLA) (Member, 1989 – 2004)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) (Volunteer Lawyer, 2008 – Present)
- The Douglas K. Amdahl American Inn of Court (Member, 2005 – Present)
- Chrysalis Crisis Center (Volunteer Lawyer, 2001 – 2004)
- University of North Dakota, (Chairman, Student Programming of Campus Events, 1979 – 80)
- American Mock Trial Competition (Judge, 2004 – 2010)
- Highland Park Recreation Center (Basketball Coach, 1996 – 2003)
- Edgecumbe Presbyterian Youth Group (Mentor, 1999 – 2001)
- 2012 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, ALM
- AV® Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®*
- Super Lawyers®, 1997 – 1998 Editions
- Minnesota Law and Leading Attorneys, 1994 – 1996 Editions
- Dean’s List, Hamline University School of Law (1983)
- Dean’s List, University of North Dakota (1976 – 1980)
- Who’s Who of American College Students, University of North Dakota (1979)